MyPlate Decoders are the top download on NutritionFromTheHart.com. Triple Melon Salad is the most requested summer food in my house! So, I thought I’d put both of those top requests into a new fresh-for-summer activity update!
If you’re new to my decoders, you can watch this YouTube demonstration to get you up to speed. Otherwise, click your file format of choice and have fun!
Let’s take a quick look at what we’re working on from a Nutrition Education Perspective. We want to help our students answer these 3 essential questions:
- How does Triple Melon Salad help my body stay healthy? (Grade 2 Outcome)
- What are the specific health benefits of eating melons? (Grade 5 Outcome)
- What is a nutritious and refreshing food that I can ask for or prepare this summer? (Grade 8 Outcome)
Why Triple Melon Salad?
Triple melon salad is a nutritious and delicious summer treat. Melons contain a lot of water so eating melon is a great way to hydrate your body. Melons taste sweet but the natural sugar in melon is healthier for your body than sugar that is added to foods like candy and soda. Melons are also high in a lot of nutrients including Vitamin C, Potassium, and Lycopene.
The recipe is easy!
- 4 cups* chopped cantaloupe
- 4 cups* chopped honeydew melon
- 4 cups* chopped watermelon
- Chop melons into bite sized chunks.
- Mix the melon chunks in a bowl.
- Serve immediately or refrigerate!
- Makes 12 cups.
* In reality, you can use any amount of each of the ingredients. I generally use half of a cantaloupe, half of a honeydew, and either half of a mini watermelon or about ¼ of a medium sized watermelon.
Enjoy and Happy Summer!
Have you checked out my new on-demand professional development? Check it out now 🙂